Saturday, January 7, 2012

Home made seasonings





I went to the store the other day  for chili seasoning. I was in a hurry and out of my home made chile mixture. The prices of the premixed seasoning had me shell shocked. I know everything is getting expensive, but $2.69 for a season packet. Come on! So I thought I would share some of my seasoning with others who also don't want to pay $ 2.69. These cost less and taste so much better. For the last one I am also doing a recipe. This chicken dish is heavenly.


 Taco seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper


 Poultry Seasoning
  • 2 cups dried parsley
  • 1 cup rubbed sage
  • 1/2 cup dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/2 cup dried marjoram
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground sage  
 
Chili  seasoning  

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley 
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • People have asked about the flour. It is only an option. It works as a thickening agent.
    Italian  Seasoning

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon dried sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
 Emeril's  Essence


2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2  tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion power
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper




Middle Eastern Chicken Rub


3 tablespoons sweet paprika
3 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons ground corriander
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt


Directions for all the seasoning Combine all ingredients and mix very well. Place in airtight glass jars (no plastic). Shake well before using. This is nice in 1/2 pint sized jars to give as gifts.

Middle Eastern Chicken 

Take your piece of chicken and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle the pieces generously with Middle Eastern Seasoning. Place in baking pan and bake at 350 till done. This is so good!  

 

This was posted to The way grandmama does it site.

 

http://grandmamadoesit.blogspot.com/2012/01/made-from-scratch-blog-hop-2012number-2.html

 

7 comments:

  1. Michelle, thank you, thank you, thank you. Did I say that enough? I am making these spice mixes today. I have some fancy little jars I've been dying to use. I can't wait to try them out. Especially the taco and chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Michelle! Please link up with my "Made From Scratch" Blog Hop over at The Way Grandmama Does It. I am making these right away!
    Thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make my own seasoning mixes too but I haven't found a taco seasoning I like, I'm going to try yours! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Okay ladies, this is a GOLD MINE! I eat Michelle's cooking alot and she is the BEST cook living I know, except my Mama. I can't believe she's posted the recipes for her best seasonings. The chili is incredible. It's even won awards, literally. Her taco seasoning is wonderful too. Jackpot! Woohoo!!! Hey BFF, why isn't this also posted on my homemaking hop??? Ahem. Please share. Love ya, Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU! I am printing this off and putting in my recipe book right now...Thanks for sharing @CountryMommaCooks.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! I have the jars for the seasonings just waiting to be filled! And I happen to have all of the ingredients! Thanks again! Yay!

    ReplyDelete