Monday, March 10, 2014

Dutch Apple Cake

Before I start typing out the recipe I have to do a disclaimer. This is a borrowed picture of the cake. Mine was eaten before I could get a decent picture of it. The recipe is from Taste of home with a few of my added tweaks throw in. I also add a glaze that put it over the top.  If you have never tried any of the Taste of home recipes,give them a try.  Any way, enough of my babbling. I will get on with the recipe.

3 med tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4 in slices
3 tbsp of sugar for apples
1 cup sugar for cake
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup softened butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
In a large bowl combine apples with 3 tbsp of sugar and the cinnamon. Let sit on counter for one hour.
In a large mixing bowl mix the butter and 1 cup sugar together till creamy. Add the eggs one at a time then add your vanilla. Mix your salt into your flour then add to the butter mixture, Stir together. Add your apples along with 2 tsp of the juice from the bowl stir together well. Place in a greased bread pan and bake at 300 degrees for an hour and a half or till a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minute before taking out of pan. Serve warm
Glaze :
1 cup powdered sugar
apple pie spice seasoning
milk
Pour enough milk into your powdered sugar to make it the consistence of syrup. Sprinkle in your apple spice seasoning a little at a time till you get the flavor you like. I used about 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp. You can pour it over the warm cake or  cut the cake in slices and pour over each slice. I poured  it over the top of the cake. But the glaze was so good that next time I am pouring it over the cut slices.

Note: It smelled so good that we didn't wait the 10 minutes. The warm cake with the melted glaze was so good! It did try to fall apart a little when we cut it. But so worth it. After one time of making this it has become a family favorite.



1 comment: