Thursday, November 29, 2012

Homemade Vanilla For Christmas

 I found this recipe last year on the blog Cattle and Cupcakes. I thought it would make a great gift. The recipe said to let it set for two to three months. I knew I wanted it for Christmas was I let it set for about 5 months. Wow, it turned out so good. I have made cakes, cookie, and candy out of it. I had plan to give most of it away. It didn't turn out that way. I only made three jars. Heidi did get one ,but the other two I ended up keeping.  I did make 5 more jars. That I promise I will  give away when they are ready.
This is the website and address for those that would like to order any. Their prices beat any other site I have seen. It about a dollar a bean. But the more you order the cheaper it is. I bought 25 beans for 20 dollars. At the store you pay 13 dollars for 3 beans.  I know because that where I bought mine before finding this site.These also come vacuum sealed so they are much fresher  then the one in the store.
The recipe is very easy .

1 cup vodka ( Has to been gain base . You can not use potato )

5 vanilla beans.

Slice your beans lengthwise ,then cut in half. add to your cup of Vodka.

  Place in a cool dark place. I use my closet. Shake once a day.

 Can be used as early as 3 months. I found leaving it 6 to 7 months make the taste more intense.

 I use a pint canning jar and 10 beans. I place the beans ( after they are cut) in the jar and add Vodka  to the top. Leaves a little room so you can shake it.
This is so worth the time. Start today and you  can have world class vanilla by next Christmas.You can also make  and give it this Christmas with the directions and recipe. Just make sure they know not to use it for 3 months. Believe me they won't care for the taste if they try to use it right away.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like making cordials, so easy too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I can't imagine making this but it does sound pretty simple.Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI Ladies- Michelle's homemade vanilla extract is AMAZING!!! It has the best flavor too. Thanks Michelle!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to try this, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link on buying vanilla beans in bulk, they really are waaayyy expensive in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. I've been wanting to make this, but wanted a tried and true recipe, and a location to buy good beans. I just printed your recipe and the website. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete