Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mexican Pork Casserole


My mom called me the other day telling me about this great pork dish she made. It sounded so good I had to give it a try. The only problem was she used a   spice packet she got from a home show. Which  a course I didn't have.  So this recipe is part my mom's and part off the top of my head.  Don't worry it turned out delicious.

Recipe..
1 pork roast
2 cans green chiles with tomatoes
1 onion chopped.
1 jar of salsa (I like Herdez salsa )
1/2 cup water 
2 teaspoon of chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon taco mix
 1  teaspoon oragano
Cheese
Corn tortillas
Black olives
 
First divide all your spices in half except the taco powder.
Place your pork in crock pot. Add the first four ingredients. Then add half of your spices and the taco mix. You will want to cook this all day on low. You should be able to shred this easily with a fork. About an hour  before it's done add the rest of the spices.
Once it is able to be shredded take it out of the crock pot and shred. Place the sauce from the crock pot in a sauce pan and add enough cornstarch to thicken it up just a little.( it should be the consistence of a canned enchilada sauce.).  Spray a casserole  pan with cooking spray add some of the sauce  to the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of your corn tortillas to the pan then add some of your pork. Spoon some sauce over the pork then add a light layer of cheese. Repeat layering until your pan is full. Then pour what's left of the sauce over it till you about an inch and a half up the sides of the pan.This helps keep it moist. Add cheese to the top and your sliced black olives. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
 I had left over pork and sauce which I used  in tamales. The pork went inside and the sauce was added to the Masa. They turned out delicious.

This recipe is easy to put your own twist on it. Have fun with it. Next time I am going to try the pork in a tamale pie with corn and black beans.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks delicious! One of y favorite foods is Mexican! Happy New Year and thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete