Saturday, February 25, 2012

Whiskey Flats Days



My husband and I went to the Whiskey  Flats Festival. It was a wonderful day. There was so much to do and see. This is only a small part. They had a encampment of the old west.  Everyone was dressed and living as if they were in that time period.
These are single piston engines, the one on the left was driving a saw mill blade. Only a few mills used these machines. Most used water or mules.

                          This was the center of the encampment The benches surrounded a open fire
                                              And they said Wild Bill was dead.    
   This gentlemen was nice enough to let us take pictures of his tent.
His wife was just taking out a cobbler that she cooked in her wood burning stove. I was really impressed.

                                     This is the loaf of chocolate chip bread she made earlier
    The Chili simmering on the stove smelled great. The next four picture are more of the inside of the tent.

 I  enjoyed talking to this couple. They have been doing this for quite a while. They really enjoy it .
Like any old west encampment, they had their Saloons. A lot of them were not like what you see in the movies. They were very roughly built.
  She makes her own Apple Pie Liquor.  She has won awards for it. She offered us a taste. We weren't sure  at first about that.
 It turned out to taste pretty good. There was no burn at all. She was nice enough too give me the recipe. Maybe I will make it some time.

                                              They had their own little merchant's store.
    This was the camp cook. Notice the chuck wagon. It was loaded with food from that time period.
             This was either a gypsy wagon or Snake oil sales men wagon. I not sure which it was.
                  Even the wagons had wood burning stoves. I wounder how many wagons caught fire.

                                              This is the other side of the wagon.

 Our next stop was the Indian encampment.  On the right side of the picture is a traditional burial site.
                                              This was the Chiefs tent.
     She wasn't to sure about me taking her picture.
       The Chiefs daughter was showing us how they made their breads.
                  These are the stones they cooked on. Makes you  appreciate your modern stove.

  Hope you enjoyed the tour of the encampment. Whiskey Flats was a lot of fun. I will post on the museums and craft fairs in a future post.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, it looked and sounded to be so much fun!

    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/02/veggie-seed-give-away.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michele, where do they hold this?! That looks like so much fun! I just showed hubby the photos and he also wished it was close by. Love the tents and the set ups. It's what I want my wall tent to look like some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that does look like fun. So glad you got to take pics of the inside of the tent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like fun! Here in the Memphis area they hold a Mountain Men "Rendezvous" re-enactment that looks a lot like that, every October up in Shelby Forest State Park. They are a lot of fun, and not nearly as particular as the Civil War re-enactors, which are pretty ubiquitous around here. With Rendezvous, anyone from the public can join in their evening festivities as long as you wear something that looks half-way period. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina
    this is held in Kernville California every year on President Day weekend. My husband is talking about joining The Black powder organization. Or one of the other period enactment groups. So we can be part of the encampment next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana
    I would love to see a Mountain Men Rendezvous. It sound like it is a lot of fun also.

    Beth
    We were so happy we got to see the inside the tents. That's what really made it fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was interesting! The tent with the furniture--can you imagine packing all that up????

    My vet had a tee-pee next to his office and would invite us to sit on the buffalo skin around a fire in the winter and have lunch! Great! And really WARM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, Chuck would love this in fact I would love it too. I wish we had something like that around here. Love it! Michelle glad you posted this!
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I'm glad you took us on a tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the tour...reminds me of our old farmers day in october. Hubby and I would love the old west encampmen love the old wagons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lucky you! so educational ! My boys would love everything about this....thanks for the picture tour...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have won, My give Away on my blog! Congratulation! Come over to "The Redeemed Gardener" and see how to collect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Michelle! I loved seeing all of the old timey furnishings and foods in the tents. We have civil war re-enactments around here every summer. The people who participate in them do it all very authentically, like the folks at Whiskey Flats. I've heard about the homemade apple pie liquor, too. They say that it has a tendency to sneak up on you, so be careful! LOL Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it Michelle! Thanks for sharing it with those of us who couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed 'your' visit to Whiskey Flats, looks so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks like y'all had a really fun day! thanks for sharing your photos!
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete